photo hometab_zps22ba163e.png  photo aboutmetab_zpsa153baa3.png  photo recipetab_zpsd85f1d24.png  photo graphicdesigntab_zps658f3ad4.png  photo shoptab_zpsa29363ca.png  photo contacttab_zpsa7c6035b.png

1.08.2012

Family fish fry

As some of you know, mr wonderful loves to fish...see here-
And as some of you know, I love for him to fish too...when he brings some home for me and fries em up! {okay yes we are slightly hillbilly...but the high class kind!}

Over the break he took a little fishing trip with his dad and brother to dirty wonderfully sunny Galveston. And I must say I am proud of my little fisherman:

{thats how me likes them...this is how i like them}


After an amazing dinner, where sharing my fish was NOT an option, we had an equally amazing dessert that was homemade by yours truly. I picked this recipe mostly because I had the ingredients and was tight on time.....but also because its from the queen of the south herself, Miss Paula Deen

Now I occasionally crave chocolate cake - and by that I mean every second of every day - so here is one of my favorites!{trust me...there will be plenty more}

Sour Cream Yellow Cake with Chocolate Fudge Icing
Cast of Characters:

1 (18 1/4-ounce) box yellow cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon butter extract - Who knew there was such a thing!
1/2 teaspoon salt

Now pay close attention; this is where it gets tricky!
Step 1: Mix everything together on a low speed for about 2 minutes.

Yep, that's it. Pour the mixture evenly into two greased cake pans and pop them in the oven on 350 for about 30-35 minutes. {I always say you should use this time wisely by having a margarita cleaning up the mess you just made, so get on it}

Once they are nice and brown, take them out and let them start cooling while you whip up the frosting.

This is what you will need:

4 ounces butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 pound confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Step 1:
In saucepan, over medium heat, combine the butter and milk. Bring to a boil.

Step 2:
Sift the confectioners' sugar and cocoa powder into a large bowl. Add the butter mixture and whisk well. Add the vanilla.
*Note: I put my finished frosting in the fridge for a few minutes to cool it down so it didn't run off the cake when icing.

Now, I am a firm believer in cutting the top off of the bottom later in order to create a level spot for the top layer. {also because i enjoy eating that part while i finish my cakes...i dare you to try and not eat it!}


Next, put a small amount of frosting between the two layers and then ice the whole cake.
*Note: it's easier to ice between the layers if you flip the cake with the top cut off over so you are not trying to ice over crumbs

Feel free to eat any left over icing...hey, it's why the recipe makes so much isn't it?

Here is your finished product, ENJOY!

- Lindsey Nicole

No comments: